Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Colorful vs. Grey

Not all music that reflects depressive themes come from 90's alternative bands. Just these first two happened to have. Similarly, they don't always reference relationships.

I do wonder though, if I am particularly drawn to the 90's alternative music because I was a teenager at that time, so it is especially relevant to me. Time and place have a great influence on how prescient art can be.

I particularly like the dynamism of the lyrics of the chorus - an acknowledgement of being less-than-stable. I know the feeling.






Also, it is Mental Illness Awareness Week - awareness is important because too many people suffer silently through their illnesses without getting the help they need. Often, this is because of the social stigma placed on people with mental illnesses. If you have a mental illness, or suspect you do, there are resources out there that can help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment