Monday, October 8, 2012

Music is an Outlet for Depression

The radio, the single, personal music devices like records, cassettes, CDs and MP3s - all of these things have revolutionized how the art of music affects the listener. It used to be that the only way music could be experienced would be as part of a group, listening to a live performance. Because of the new mediums, musicians and artists were able to craft more songs that reflected more personal emotions.

You don't have to be sad to appreciate sadness in music, or in this case depressed to appreciate songs that reflect depression. You might be depressed, you might not. You might hear a song that sounds depressing to you, but doesn't to me.

Today's song is not exactly ambiguous. When Rob Thomas sings:

"All day, starin' at the ceiling, makin' friends with shadows on my wall; All night, hearin' voices tellin' me I should get some sleep..."

I recognize feelings that I have had before. I don't sleep well most of the time anyway, but when I get into a funk I lie awake all night thinking I need to get to sleep. And when I don't sleep, I lie awake in bed all day exhausted by my emotions and lack of sleep.


I heard this song on the radio today and it resonated with me - it gave me the idea for this blog. I want to explore ideas of sadness, depression and music. Also, I think how sharing the ways that certain pieces of music may have an affect on the listener is a way that we are able to learn about each other.

Thanks,
Keys

No comments:

Post a Comment